Saturday, April 3, 2010

life~spring

Nothing like a beautiful day in the south to draw out all the laptoppers from their winter nesting.  Quick drive toward the mountains, swap shoes for boots, water bottle for camelpack ~ waaalaaa~ life feels renewed and purpose filled.  One step at a time,watching foot placement and trying not to miss a minute of real earthly beauty.   

It was a pretty slow, quiet hike.  Passing many smiles and words of encouragement as those who were headed down confirmed great beauty from the top.  Usually we discuss so many things that are topics of tenderness to us but this time he seemed a bit focused on his footing- keeping the speed of an 80 yo I teased him.  But he has patiently walked with me when I weighed 35 pounds more and carried a 25 pound back pack.  As my feet would speed up and my heart would feel big and strong I would realize I couldnt see him behind me.

He spoke often of his trip out alone over a year ago.  Made me melancholy to think that one nite out meant so much to him over the many trips we had been out.  He reflects so much of his life without me.  I refused to let that thought carry on too long...I want my life to mean something to someone other than me.

This hiking thing was all my longing to run away so many years ago.  To just put on a pack and hit the trail with only the things I would need and show myself and the world I'm ALIVE~He had even commented, "You will never get me to put on a 30 pound backpack and walk up a mountain". 
ummmm scuuuuze me? ~;o)

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful photo of our OZArks; BEAUTIFUL RECALL OF A HIKE.

    Home from loooooooong trip to NC; need to catch up on spring here. We endured a phenomenon called pine pollen smog. You could literally see the pollen, so dense it looked like light fog looking down a long strip of road.

    ReplyDelete

share your insanity: