Sunday, September 28, 2008

ahhh the next thirty

I have to say the 5 days in the woods camping and hiking were the best 5 days of my married life. Just he and I and the trails! perfect. We found an energy between us that had been covered over by life and business. Time for quiet, or talk, or reflection while we sat by the fire with the lantern burning.

During the days we would find close trails and walk them taking turns carrying a back pack with both waters and a little nibbles of food and our emergency medical supplies. The trails were beautiful and the views from Brasstown Mtn were mind blowing. So many rolling hills and mountains and trees and blue sky and all less than two hours from home.

The first couple of days out and about though we reflected on funny things the kids have done over the years. But one day I was really pondering Sam, our oldest. In my previous blog I wrote that his virtue was compassion but I would like to go back and change that choice to protector. He sees himself as the protector of his family. So I will try to figure out how to go back and change that.

Our last full day we decided to hike the AT. We found where we had stopped in August and just finished the 4 or so miles from the other side. As we pulled into the parking lot and began to put on our gear my heart got so filled with excitement. We agreed that the "white blaze" seems to just call to us and invite us to come see the sites that only a few will explore. I could feel the young girl giggles as we approached a steep climb and we knew it was gonna come out in a beautiful scene of mountains and valleys. While we looked out in to the greatness we where both breathing hard and I put one hand on his heart and one on my own and said they beat in the same time. It was a wonderful wonderful way to end our time there alone.

If he should die before me I will always go to these mountains and look for the connection with him there! We have both been very hard with each other over the years and some of the time you would never know that we were ever in love...the healing that has taken place thru our hiking and time together has allowed me to see how I failed our relationship and I am so glad for the next thirty years we have planned.

1 comment:

  1. Blessings on your next 30 years! We just passed 36. I'd love a 5-day hiking trip with my husband! He's my cheerleader for my own planned AT hike but not that much of a backpacker himself. We did a lot of dayhiking, though, in the Black Hills and Yellowstone.

    ReplyDelete

share your insanity: