Tuesday, November 3, 2009

New attitude..

EWWWweeee I love living in the south.  It was 70 degrees and sunshine and my side yard was yelling for help.  The ivy has consumed everything!  Trees have strategically planted themselves just far enough that I can fear snakes in the ivy and I have let them get too big.


I cut the backyard and pulled young trees and ivy for 2.5 hours.  It felt wonderful!  Yard work seemed such a burden thru the summer because of the bugs, the poison ivy, and the heat!  One of the last vines I was yanking and pulling and grunting about showed THE 3 leaves toward the end of my pull.  Poison ivy demands respect so I finished up and jumped in the shower.

Our first  spring here I took on the bank that had been allowed to be over grown with ivy.  As I pulled up all sorts of vines, bragging that I dont get poison ivy, and wrapped the vines like a cord around my hand to elbows and then twined it.  OMG the stuff was all over me the next 3 days it just kept breaking out in different places but my arms looked so bad that I work long sleeve shirts most the summer.  I thought it was going to leave scares. I haven't given a flip about the bank since then! Damn you bank! be covered in ivy.  One more reason to just hate this dumb house!


This was the third time I have gotten out there in the last 6 months. My Einstein  and I rarely work in the yard together.  We work in the yard and either hope the other wont notice what we have done or if they do they will compliment the work.  I cut some limbs today that hung to the ground and shaded an already very shady backyard.  He may stress but what is going to do DIVORCE ME?  
"Yes Judge Judy, I want a divorce because she cleaned up the backyard!"  Ha, I dont think so!

A couple of hours a day and soon we will see great progress.  Perhaps late fall and winter will be the best times to work out there anyway. 


It felt really good to sweat and work and play in the dirt! and see some things never change.

8 comments:

  1. Anonymous11/03/2009

    At this rate you could even put in a winter garden. Lucky schmuck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gardening when it is not too hot is good but poison ivy definitely deserves respect.

    Tuesday's Tales #1 - John

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I was younger I loved doing that kind of thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agent Orange... That's the ticket..

    ReplyDelete
  5. This made me chuckle: "Damn you bank! be covered in ivy." I do not enjoy yard work either. :) And yesterday was so beautiful out indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hay, poison ivy is a really pretty plant if left alone. I just try to keep it in place with Roundup.
    I never had a problem with it till last year. Guess you are never too old to develope sensitivity.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm married to an Einstein, too, as you know!! There should be a support group! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. My wife dragged me out last weekend to plant bulbs. It was flippin cold.

    ReplyDelete

share your insanity: